had the chance to talk with Underworld: Awakening
directors Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein. Here’s a few of the highlights:
- The Comic-Con trailer will not be shown anywhere else. They were committed to not show any Lycans at Comic-Con. But there will be Lycans in the sequel, including several kinds that have never been seen before.
- Stein twice teases a “very important new character that will turn everything upside-down.”
- They are halfway through the editing process, which includes 750-800 effects shots to render in 3D.
- There is a 7-minute car chase that took five days to shoot and two-and-a-half weeks to edit.
- Stein and Marlind have a unique working relationship. They switch roles every day: one person in charge, one person is the director’s “best buddy.”
- 3D changes how they film. Because of the camera size, it’s harder to throw the camera over your shoulder for an aggressive shot. But it has led Stein to pursue longer takes because the 3D looks better.
- The first trailer should be released soon.